Remote IT support is a great way to fix IT issues quickly, but sometimes on-site IT support is the only way to resolve an issue fully.
In this blog, we’ll look at the different types of IT support and services that can quickly get you up and running and the best way for businesses in Toronto to get guaranteed on-site computer support when they need it.
Types of IT Support and Services
IT support and services can be delivered in one of three ways:
- On-site – on your premises by your own IT staff
- On-site – on your premises by a specialist provider
- Remote – remotely by a specialist provider
Every business must decide which option they are going to take.
Comparing Remote IT Support and On-site IT support
The decision about which type of IT support to take is critical for every business. Making the wrong choice can be expensive, in terms of:
- Customer retention
- Employee satisfaction
Each option has its own set of unique pros and cons:
1: On-site IT Support Using Your Own Staff
Large businesses can afford to have their own IT team, but this is less viable for most small/medium organizations.
The benefits include:
- Prompt fixes: On-site IT staff can address issues immediately – if they have the skills and time
- Controlled Costs: Your IT wages bill will be the same whether you have IT issues or not
The drawbacks include:
- Recruitment and retention: Finding good IT staff who then stay with you is a challenge
- Unexpected costs: There will be times when you may have to pay for additional help
- Cover for holidays, sickness, and out of hours: Few businesses can afford to employ extra IT staff just to provide cover
- Limited Expertise: No single person can be fully skilled in all aspects of IT
2: On-site IT Support From a Specialist Provider
This is a common option for small/medium businesses, who often combine it with remote support to get the best of both. Specialist IT support and services providers contract with customers to provide on-site support when it is needed.
The benefits of this option include:
- Fixes within hours or next day: The service provider sends IT support staff to the location within an agreed service level
- Skilled staff: If you select a good service provider, their staff will have all the skills needed to provide support
- Managed costs: Some service providers offer on-site support for a fixed annual fee. Pay as you go options are also available
- Recruitment and retention: The service provider takes care of all recruitment and retention issues. IT technicians are more likely to work for them rather than end-user organizations
- Cover for holidays, sickness, and out of hours: You pay for the hours of coverage that you need, and the service provider ensures that support staff are always available when you need them
The drawbacks of this option include:
- Delays in issue resolution: There will always be a time delay while the IT support staff come on-site
- Limited guarantees: While some IT service providers will provide you with a guaranteed time to arrive on-site, others might not.
3: Remote IT Support by a Specialist Provider
An increasing number of successful companies are choosing remote IT support. These benefits are the same as the ‘on-site IT support from a specialist provider’ option:
- Skilled staff
- Managed costs
- Recruitment and retention
- Cover for holidays, sickness, and out of hours
With these additional benefits:
- Cost-Effectiveness: For SMBs, this option is nearly always more cost-effective than hiring full-time IT staff
- 24-Hour Help: Remote support can help you at any time of the day or week
- Support anywhere: Remote IT support can be provided to anywhere with an internet connection, including when your staff are working from home or in an airport lounge
What Should I look For in a Provider of On-site IT Support Services?
A local managed services provider like CG Technologies in Toronto will be able to provide you with cost-effective and responsive IT support.
Their services include:
- Experienced computer support technicians based in Canada
- A financial model to suit your needs, with a flat fee or pay-as-you-go options
- Bi-lingual support
- Skills in all aspects of IT
- Guaranteed response times
- A wide range of IT services, including procurement, installation, maintenance, cyber security, license management, and support
Who are CG Technologies?
CG Technologies have been in business since 1996, servicing big and small clients with IT support and services needs primarily in Toronto and across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Their support team is 100% Canadian-based and has a track record of excellence for their clients in Toronto and the GTA, who rely on them for all their IT needs as their business grows. With 100s of satisfied customers, CG Technologies will partner with you from the initial design phase to launch and rollout and long afterwards as your business grows.